Monday, November 17, 2008

Domesticity

Since getting married, I've progressively found myself more interested in the domestic arts. I now know how to make a martini exactly how my man likes it:

Classic Gin Martini
-Equal Parts Gin (Mike likes Bombay) and Dry Vermouth
-Stir, never shake, with Ice
-Serve Up in a Martini Glass

I have also been slowly opening the myriad of cookbooks I own but never use. A few weeks ago, I went to our local deli and bought some beef that I slow-cooked for two hours (a recipe from a Greek Cook Book that John Caruso got me as a going-away gift when I left Ohio).

This past weekend I decided, for no particular reason, that I wanted to bake an apple pie from scratch. The maternal instincts are growing at an alarming rate and the only thing I can think of to counter them is to give in and bake. What am I becoming?

Baking this pie was a task indeed. I spent a good 45 minutes in our little Vons trying to hunt down the smallest containers I could find of Corn Starch, Vegetable Shortening, Brown Sugar and other such staples that I am not sure I'll be using in a few months when these urges pass. Once I had a loaded basket, I hit the check out.

Upon arriving home and unpacking all of my groceries, the silly truth dawned on me: we don't have a pie pan! I call my friend/expert Chef, Mrs. Daisie Almquist to confer. After a brief discussion we decide that I am going to use a round cake pan. It won't look pretty, but the pie should taste more-or-less the same.

I mix my pie-crust dough (using Omega 3 Butter and Whole Wheat flour, of course). As I'm rolling it out, the consistency seems too flaky. I call to check with Daisie again and decide against adding more water.

The dough gets chilled for 30 minutes, while I begin on the filling - peeling, coring and slicing seven Granny Smith apples, then mixing these with raisins, sugar and cinnamon. Next I roll the dough out more and attempt to arrange it evenly (and attractively) in my cake pan...you can decide for yourself how this looks.


Finally I chill the dough in the pan while adding sour cream (non fat, of course) to my apple filling. I separately blend a bowl of brown sugar and butter, creating a "crumble topping" that is evenly spread on top of the apples in the pie. All of the "mixing" is done by taking two butter knives at opposite angles and "scissor cutting" through the butter and sugar/flour until it "resembles thick crumbs".

My Pie - Ready to Go in the Oven

Everything is assembled and I put the pie into bake. 1 hour, at 400 degrees....then I reduce the heat to 350 for what is supposed to be another 20-35 minutes. The damn thing wouldn't bubble in the middle. After an added 40 minutes, Mike and I decide to play it safe and pull the pie out anyway. The sides have completely bubbled and leaked all over and down the edges.
Tada!

As you can see from the photo, my pie is ugly as sin...but damn good. I'm so proud and inspired that now I want to try something even bigger...maybe a more imaginative pie...or even baking something large, like a turkey.

Some have suggested to me that my newfound love of cooking comes from all the cool kitchen stuff we scored for the wedding, but I think it comes from something deeper and more simple. Love for my husband.

Yes, this is Angela (formerly Carper) typing this blog. I can't believe it either.

Bon'apetit!

2 comments:

Me said...

Oh come on you cooked for me when we were in high school. Those skills were always there..just somewhat dormant...
ANd yes the pie looks ugly but sometimes those are the ones that taste the best! Good job for a first attempt!
How else are our husbands expected to get fat after the wedding if not by our cooking!

Mike said...

Beefeater Gin (not Bombay). But your learning! :)